Monday, March 26, 2012

AWAITING PIPSQUEAK

As hard as it is to tear myself away from perching on eagle watch 2012, I decided it was time to blog, bitch, or whatever. When I left the website just now, Papa was doing his shift on the nest. Today in Decorah, Iowa the temperature is a cool 41 degrees with a lot of wind and at times you can really feel that nest sway in the tree. Seems I'm not alone in my new found bird watching hobby...over 42,000 other cats are watching this site along with me this morning. I think that number is even up from the totals I saw over the week-end as the world anticipates the first egg to hatch. The eggs usually hatch between 35 and 37 days or thereabouts. Everyone is intrigued and watching closely now because the first egg was laid 38 days ago but so far all is quiet in the nest.

Here's a little eagle lesson for you...just pretend like you asked...The first poke in the eggshell is called a 'pip'. The baby eagle has developed it's 'egg tooth' and it uses this to poke a hole in the shell...aka the pip. In reading all the comments that people write in alongside the video I have learned lots of information. People are listening for a squeak, a sure sign there's been a pip, I suppose. Get it? A pipsqueak! Interestingly enough I do recall being called that a few times as a very young kitten. Imagine all these years later to learn it actually has a meaning.

Once the pip occurs it will take anywhere from 24 to 48 hours for baby eagle to completely break free of it's shell and Mom and Dad do not assist in the process. Maybe they just pace the nest? At any rate this has been quite fascinating to watch, even for a cat. Face it, a critter this size could easily carry my furry butt away so I shall respect big bird!

Now I must confess that I am looking forward to tonight's DWTS episode. I know, I know...a couple of my previous posts contained a few wise cracks regarding the latest line up of not-so-star-stars. Well, curiosity got the best of me and I found myself tuning in last week for the premiere. While I completely expected to be disappointed I was quite surprised to be very impressed over all. In fact, I'd go so far as to agree with a lot of viewers that it was probably the best yet premiere for DWTS. Granted I never heard of most of these new contenders but I will admit most actually seemed to dance pretty good for their initial time on the show. Even Gladys Knight was on there minus her "Pips" and showed she had rhythm. Guess the Pips never let her dance, just sing back in the day.

Anyway, speaking of PIPs I just heard the first pip was confirmed at 2 pm. and I missed it because I was on here...must fly for now. I will leave you with a hint regarding my choice for DWTS first elimination....either Melissa or Martina. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment