Saturday, March 17, 2012

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY

Here's to a Pot 'o Gold for all, or green beer for those who partake in the bubbly. I'll stick to my ocean whitefish pate with a side of catnip! Green 'nuff!
March is flying by and while I had wanted to share some special dates for this month I soon discovered there just wasn't much worth meowing about. In fact, the month of March's alleged holidays seem to range from basic bizarre to just plain ridiculous. I have been doing a bit of research to add interesting dates to my 2013 Sister Very Catty Calendar but honestly, March just didn't cut it for me.

For example, would you believe according to a couple of websites that March 1st is National Pig Day? Uh-huh, that's what I said. Who makes this shit up anyway? How does one celebrate such a holiday? Spare a pig? Adopt a pig? Have a ham sandwich?

Since I almost feel bad for my piggy cracks I returned to these websites to find out what the pork this was all about. Sure enough it's a date set aside to recognize and give thanks to you domesticated piggies out there who were lucky enough to be adopted as house pets. Humans hold special events to honor your day with snort offs, pig outs and there's even online pig chats. Let's hear a round of oink oinks on that one, folks.

But wait, there's more to March 1st than porky...it's also National Peanut Butter Day. Yep, America's favorite sandwich spread has it's own day of recognition just like it's little piggy cohorts. Hmm, now I'm torn...do I want a peanut butter sandwich or a ham sandwich?

Other than those two goodies, a lot of you had to switch to Daylight Savings Time on March 11th. Come Monday morning that probably sucked for most of you. Bummer.

Next up we'll have the first day of spring on the 20th. Big whoop for us in these here parts because it just leads to summer. By these here parts I mean hell. Commonly referred to as the desert section of the good old USA, it's hell in summer no matter whatcha call it.

For those of you keeping a watch on those eagles in Decorah, Iowa don't forget the first egg is due to hatch along about the 23rd. There's a date to watch for March. Mama and Papa have been diligently taking turns perched on their three eggs and arrival time is really getting close. Occasionally it's been almost scary to watch the nest when it sways in the high winds they have from time to time. That's one rock-a-bye-baby home sweet home 80 feet up in that tree.

Next week starts the new season of DWTS...yes, I just felt compelled to bitch about that again. I may tune in just to see how disappointed I figured I'd be with the new line up of this season's not really stars. Back to the nest I'll probably go....
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment