Saturday, April 14, 2012

IS IT ENOUGH ALREADY?

How about it was what it was? Is it? Was it? What? No doubt you have heard the phrase it is what it is. When you first hear it you think it's kind of catchy, but then you notice you hear it more frequently and not too long after that you swear if you hear it just one more time....

How about next time somebody says it is what it is you say 'oh no, it's not!'. Or better yet tell them it was what it was but it is no more. Do you have any idea what I'm meowing about? Me neither but as it is I'm going to keep going.

So curiosity led me to research the origin of this simple phrase it is what it is and as it turns out, it is a bit of a mystery. No one can pinpoint who originally coined this phrase. Which leads me to ask who coined the phrase 'coined the phrase'?

What is around here is it's just a regular Caturday (that's Saturday to humans) and being a typical cat I've already enjoyed my tuna in gravy feast, rearranged my litter box, taken a nap, stared out the front window awhile, taken another nap, a bath and not quite ready to curl up and sleep yet. It's been awhile since I last posted and I decided to meow about something on my blog today. See, I could have just as easily said it is what it is rather than describe what it is.

The way I see it words occasionally escape some humans and using that phrase works well as a sort of multipurpose alternative to actually allowing one's self to form a complete thought or opinion into a sentence.

There are definite theories regarding the phrase it is what it is but no one seems to have been able to confirm when it was very first used. It is a well known phrase in the sports world. Easy enough to understand why...uh, we lost the game, low scores, it is what it is. The pitcher was way off base...it is what it is. Our best receiver was out with injuries...it is what it is. How about just say it like it really was...we suck therefore we lost.

There are some websites that want to give Al Gore credit for the phrase because he used it in a statement to explain why a situation could not be changed. Al Gore...it was what it was.

Then I read where the phrase was used as far back as 1949 in a Nebraska State Journal and odds are you could probably research it beyond that date and discover another quote by somebody. I've since lost interest and that is, after all, what is with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment